Testimonials & Stories
Read how PWNHealth is making an impact with our patient and physician stories below.
Dr. Ratliff, PWNHealth Physician Network: TelehealthLearn more
Lisa, Consumer-Initiated Genetic TestingLearn more
Vaughn, COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing ProgramLearn more
Glenda, Consumer-Initiated Genetic TestingLearn more
Jennifer, COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing ProgramLearn more
Joshua, COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing ProgramLearn more
Yadi, COVID-19 At-Home Test KitLearn more
Carol, COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing ProgramLearn more
Sarah, COVID-19 Testing ProgramLearn more
Cassy, COVID-19 Testing ProgramLearn more
Steven, COVID-19 At-Home Test KitLearn more
Arled, COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing ProgramLearn more
Edgar, COVID-19 At-Home Test KitLearn more
A Q&A with Dr. Ratliff of PWNHealth’s Physician Network, providing telehealth consults and services to PWN patients.
- Why did you decide to get involved in PWNHealth’s telehealth services? A colleague was working for PWN several years ago and told me about how positive her experience had been working for the company.
- How would you describe your experience working at PWNHealth? It has been an excellent experience. Every single staff member that I have encountered has been friendly, knowledgeable and eager to assist in the care of PWN patients.
- In your experience, what are the benefits of virtual care? I started participating in telemedicine, as a physician, three years ago and although there are select circumstances in which it cannot replace in-person care, there are many more instances in which it can. One area that PWN excels in is results-based consultations. Telemedicine can be easily utilized for following up on community or employee-based test results to provide guidance to patients in regards to what the test results means, what the treatment options are and what follow-up steps are needed.
- From what you have seen, how has the pandemic affected the telehealth industry? I think it has shed a positive light on the benefits of telemedicine. I have seen facilities/administrations that were previously reluctant to the idea of telemedicine, later come to realize the value it can actually bring to a practice. The benefits appear to have become more apparent to payers as well, which will, of course, help with the acceptance of telemedicine from an administrative standpoint within facilities such as hospitals, outpatient clinics, and skilled nursing facilities when there is less concern regarding reimbursement. Telemedicine has been extremely important during COVID-19 in several ways, for example: a) triaging patients with symptoms or exposure to guide them regarding the need and location for testing options b) consultation with positive COVID-19 patients in regards to isolation recommendations and other guidance they may need. The health departments and outpatient clinics are already over-run with work, so this takes away an enormous burden of calls that would otherwise be directed to these facilities but is instead being handled by physicians in organizations such as PWN c) It is allowing specialists who will have overlap in the hospital setting (treating both COVID-19 positive and negative patients to see the COVID-19 patients via telemedicine in order to limit the likelihood that they become a vector for transmission d) it allows for the evaluation of high-risk patients, such as dialysis and transplant, via telemedicine rather than have them come into a clinic and have potential exposure to a positive patient. There are so many examples, such as these, that have come to light during the pandemic and proven the validity and benefit of telemedicine care options.
- How has the pandemic personally affected you? I was given my 90-day notice from my hospital-employed specialty position due to cutbacks a month after the pandemic hit; many hospitals were struggling to survive with all elective procedures/surgeries being canceled and there have been a significant number of physicians who had sudden changes in their employment status due to the logistics and financial barriers created by COVID-19. I was very blessed to have several telemedicine job opportunities so that I was able to work from home for a variety of companies until my full-time practice was transitioned to new management.
- In your experience, what role has PWNHealth played in the advancement of telehealth as a resource for care delivery? PWN is an excellent resource for community and employee-based testing and patients love that through this process they not only get a paper copy of their results, but actually speak to a physician who reviews the results with them in order to be sure they understand the results, treatment options and need for any follow-up. This prevents critical results from falling through the cracks and it allows for an efficient care delivery process so that patients do not have to take as much time off work for testing and follow-up as they would in a traditional care setting.
- Where do you see the future of telehealth? I am hopeful that it will continue to expand in its role and acceptance in health care now that it has received some recognition. There are so many areas where it could lead to better use of resources and allow for tremendous savings in healthcare expenditure if it is utilized appropriately.
- If you can give one last quote or thought about your experience what would it be? I am thankful that my colleague introduced me to PWNHealth and I look forward to what the future holds as I work with this company that is passionate about being a leader in telemedicine-based care delivery.
Lisa was advised by a medical professional to pursue genetic testing due to a family history of hereditary cancer, so she was excited to discover how easily accessible consumer-initiated genetic testing can be. Upon receiving her results, she was surprised to find that she had tested positive for a mutation associated not with hereditary cancer in her family, but instead with a cardiac condition. As a generally healthy individual, she had not previously considered the possibility of having this condition, and never thought to pursue testing for it. Through PWNHealth’s network of genetic counselors, Lisa was able to set up a telehealth consultation that would have otherwise been difficult due to barriers such as insurance, location, and appointment availability. After speaking with a genetic counselor, Lisa feels like she can better serve as her own advocate by knowing more about her condition.
Vaughn is an optometrist who pursued COVID-19 testing after a member of her team informed the office that a family member tested positive for COVID-19. She was pleasantly surprised to find a testing site near her home, supported by PWNHealth (PWN) and to see that they had an available appointment the very next day. As soon as Vaughn pulled into her garage after the test, she checked her email to find her results were already available. Along with her results was the opportunity to speak with a PWN physician via telehealth. Concerned about her family and her patients, Vaughn decided to take advantage of the consultation to discuss any steps to take to ensure everyone’s well-being. Given how much uncertainty there is around COVID-19, Vaughn found this testing experience extremely beneficial and has given the information to many of her neighbors and friends who need to get a COVID-19 test as well.
Glenda knew she and her family members needed genetic testing for a hereditary cancer condition. Recommended by her sister’s oncologist, this testing would help them determine if they had increased risk for multiple types of cancer. However, due to COVID-19 restrictions and the rural area they live in, testing through Glenda’s doctor’s office was not easily accessible to the family. When Glenda received an email about patient-initiated genetic testing, she learned that this was an affordable option for testing completed entirely from home. It was an answered prayer and she decided to move forward with ordering the test.
When Glenda received her results, she was concerned about what it all meant and had many questions. It was then that she decided to schedule an appointment with a genetic counselor from PWNHealth. As the clinical oversight provider, PWN supports consumer-initiated testing with access to certified genetic counselors during and after the testing process to answer questions and provide professional guidance to patients. Glenda was unsure what to expect but speaking with the genetic counselor gave a greater understanding of her results and what next steps to take to proactively manage her health. Glenda also felt that the conversation with the genetic counselor was an emotional outlet she didn’t know she needed. The appointment provided her with even greater motivation to advocate for the care she and other members of her family need.
Reflecting back to before she was tested, Glenda acknowledged how the uncertainty of genetic testing and what she would discover in her results caused anxiety. Being informed of her genetic health has allowed Glenda and her family to identify appropriate health care providers and the steps she could take to help stay ahead of cancer. Glenda is very thankful to have been able to receive her genetic testing and genetic counseling through PWN.
When asked her overall thoughts about this experience, she said: “This was a potential lifesaver for members of my family. I believe it’s a wonderful thing to offer and I highly recommend it because the more you know, the better prepared you can be.“
Meet Joshua. When he and his wife began to show symptoms, Joshua turned to a community COVID-19 testing program at a local drive-thru screening site. PWNHealth provided clinical oversight for the program that enabled convenient access to testing for Joshua and his family. Upon receiving his test results, Joshua had a telehealth consult with one of PWN’s board-certified physicians. As someone with an underlying condition, it was important for him to have access to a physician after receiving his results. What stood out to Joshua the most was the empathy that was shown to him throughout the whole process. After losing his uncle to COVID-19, his anxiety and stress levels were at an all-time high. Something he wants to raise awareness about is the emotional effect COVID-19 has on others. If by sharing his story he can help others in a similar situation, he knows he is doing his part.
After spending Father’s Day together with family, Yadi started feeling symptoms of COVID-19. She went to social media to see if anyone knew where to get a COVID-19 test. An at-home self-swab test was the best option for her through a COVID-19 testing program supported by PWNHealth. Yadi completed her test in the comfort of her own home and received her results in a few days, all done with minimal exposure to others. The ability to have a telehealth consultation with a PWN physician upon receiving her results was especially important to Yadi since it was a holiday weekend and she couldn’t speak to her regular doctor. A PWN physician contacted her within 2 hours of receiving her results treated her with the highest quality of care, a feeling Yadi never thought she would experience via telehealth. Her family, who ultimately were all affected by the virus, are now feeling better and are grateful for the work of PWNHealth.
Meet Carol. She made the decision to get a COVID-19 test because of a state travel requirement. A drive-thru testing site, supported by PWNHealth, was located in her neighborhood and Carol scheduled a test. Much to her surprise, her test came back positive while her husband’s test came back negative. Confused how this could happen, Carol scheduled a telehealth consult with a PWN physician so she could better understand their results. PWN’s support of COVID-19 testing allowed Carol and her husband to have some semblance of a normal summer and still travel while keeping others safe and protected from the virus.
Sarah was the only member of her family that tested positive for COVID-19 despite being diligent about taking all the proper precautions. Perplexed about the virus and how it only affected her, Sarah jumped at the chance to speak with a PWNHealth physician regarding her positive results. She was delighted and surprised that the doctor called her back within minutes of submitting her request for a consultation, especially since her local doctor didn’t have an available appointment for her. The PWN physician was incredibly nice, calm, knowledgeable, reassuring, and willing to answer her many questions. Being able to stay safe in her own home but still get the valuable information she needed was helpful to not only Sarah but the many people in her life who now come to her for advice about how to take the best care possible.
Cassy decided to get a COVID-19 test to confirm his suspicions upon experiencing several symptoms. His test came back positive but his wife’s came back negative. Cassy decided the safest decision was to quarantine himself even though his family lived in the same house. For the next 14 days, Cassy stayed in his bedroom while his wife and two children stayed in the living room. Since Cassy and his wife do not have family nearby, Cassy’s wife had to care for the children by herself while also trying to provide care and attention to Cassy. When he was offered the opportunity to speak with a PWNHealth physician to address his questions and concerns, he took the consultation because he wanted a better understanding of what to expect and the next steps to take. Having a PWN physician talk him through the process and answer his questions was a relief to Cassy.
Steven made sure to always exercise caution when it came to COVID-19, however one weekend he decided to meet-up with a couple of colleagues while socially distancing. Sure enough, the following day one of his colleagues called to tell him he was having flu-like symptoms, and five days later his test came back positive for COVID-19. Only a few days after that encounter, Steven started feeling symptoms as well and he decided to move forward with an at-home test kit supported by PWNHealth. He received his results just two days later. As someone who lives alone after moving from Costa Rica three years ago, Steven worries about what could happen to him if he gets sicker from COVID-19. He is now feeling better, but it was important to him to stay in a positive mindset and know that he had to really take good care of himself, physically and emotionally.
Arled decided to go out to dinner with a close friend thinking they were taking all the proper precautions to stay safe from COVID-19. Unfortunately, a couple of days later, her friend got very sick and ended up in the hospital. Not long after that, Arled began feeling similar symptoms. Already having asthma and anemia, Arled got nervous and decided to get a COVID-19 test at a community drive-thru site where she tested positive. She simply wanted accurate information about her positive test to keep her family safe, especially her new baby. Arled’s telehealth consult with a PWNHealth physician was informative and exactly what she needed. The PWN doctor provided resources on where to go to continue to find up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 and keeping her family safe. Arled is now equipped with proper tools to stay educated and safe- a goal PWNHealth never stops working toward.
After a rigorous game of tennis in the summer heat, Edgar started to feel strange. At first, he attributed it to the usual post-exercise tiredness, but as time went on his symptoms were not getting better. A friend of his recommended an at-home test kit and after signing up and receiving the kit, he received his results in a matter of days. Edgar was pleased to see that PWNHealth provided telehealth consults with board-certified physicians as an included service of the at-home test kit. When he received his results, he scheduled a PWN telehealth consult to alleviate any concerns he had. The physician answered all of Edgar’s questions and helped him understand the next steps he should take in protecting himself and those around him.