X

PWNHealth is now Everly Health Solutions! Read the official announcement here.

RESEARCH: Patient Satisfaction with consumer-initiated pharmacogenetic testing and post-test telehealth genetic counseling

 

Title: Patient satisfaction with consumer-initiated pharmacogenetic testing and post-test telehealth genetic counseling. (link to poster)

 

Authors: Jacquelyn Magner, MS, LCGC, Robin King, MS, LCGC; Paldeep S. Atwal, MD, Nori Williams, MS, LCGC

 

Introduction: Pharmacogenomics is the study of how genetic information influences drug response. This personalized approach to medicine is gaining popularity with individuals. We asked consumers to provide feedback on their satisfaction with their pharmacogenetic test and their telehealth genetic counseling consult.

 

Methods: Between June 2019 and December 2019, an anonymous survey was emailed to patients within 4 days after the completion of a genetic counseling telehealth consult to discuss pharmacogenetic test results.  Patients were asked about their level of satisfaction with the pharmacogenetic test they ordered and with their genetic counseling consultation. Patients were also asked to rate the knowledge of the genetic counselor and leave comments about the likert ratings they chose.

 

Results: Out of 233 pharmacogenetic consultations, 46 (19.7%) patients completed the feedback survey. The majority 35 (77.8%), of respondents were “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with the genetic test they ordered, while 7 (15.6%) answered “unsatisfied” or “very unsatisfied” and 3 (6.7%) were neutral. 39 respondents (86.7% were “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with the genetic counseling consultation,” while 6 (13.3%) answered unsatisfied or very unsatisfied. 47 (87%) or respondents rated the expertise of the genetic counselor as either knowledge or very knowledgeable, 6 (11.1%) rated the expertise of the genetic counselor as not knowledgeable, and 1 respondent (1.9%) rated the expertise of the genetic counselor as neutraal

 

Discussion: Of the 15.6% of respondents who were either “unsatisfied” or “very unsatisfied” with their genetic test, 71.4% still rated the knowledge of the genetic counselor as “knowledgeable” or “very knowledgeable.” The other 28.6% rated the knowledge as neutral. Of the 13.3% of respondents who said they were either “unsatisfied” or “very unsatisfied” with their genetic consultation, 66.6% still rated the knowledge of the genetic counselor as “knowledgeable” or “very knowledgeable.” 71.4% of respondents who rated their satisfaction with the test or their genetic consultation as unsatisfied or very unsatisfied provided their reason as wanting more information about medications on their report.

 

Conclusions: We demonstrate that the majority of consumers of pharmacogenetic testing are satisfied with the test they ordered and their consultation with a genetic counselor. Dissatisfaction was associated with the testing itself, rather than the value of genetic counseling. This demonstrates the usefulness of genetic counseling in helping patients better understand their pharmacogenetic testing results.